Monday, April 12, 2010

Awkward thing people (mostly men) have said to me while pregnant...

To Do 4/12/10:
- Focus on something else besides still being pregnant (this one is sooo hard!)
- Think of things to do that don't involve driving
- Read work papers and stop avoiding them
- Take notes for work
- Pick out birth announcements and make sure addresses are ready
- Order weather cover for jogger
- Write down some of the strange/awkward thing people said to me while I was pregnant...

People (mostly men) have said some awkward things to me while pregnant. Here are a few of the really strange ones:

Sitting in a meeting with all of the program directors of the college of medicine before the meeting starts: Someone who knows I am pregnant (I am just starting to "show") asks me if I am feeling any better - my reply, "no, I am still very sick" (and will be until 25 weeks I found out!). The man sitting next to me is noticeably discomforted now, looking very worried that I might breath on him and pass along some germs (I think he is the program direct for Public Health and H1N1 was going around) - so I say, "it's ok, I'm pregnant, so I can not get you sick." Relief floods over his face and he says, "well, if you could get me pregnant, we would both make a lot of money!" hmmmm... silence all around....

Sitting at a table before a seminar starts: My friend asks me if I am going to get some of the pizza before seminar - I say that I am not sure b/c I just ate some soup for lunch already - their response is that I am pregnant and can have both. A man (who I have seen quite often) comes over and says, "oh, you're pregnant?" (btw - at this point, I am either very pregnant or am growing a large abdominal tumor) He continues, "in these days no one is supposed to ask until the baby is coming out." hmmm.... silence again (also - I did have the pizza too!) :)

Coming out of my house to go somewhere the other day: no hi, how are you? - my neighbor starts in by saying - "Wow! Are you going for a record or something! Sure there aren't two in there???" 1.) I have heard from my friends that this question is a "normal" one to be asked while pregnant and it is never ok to ask that! 2.) The woman who asked me this has never had children...

Finally - Facebook conversation: Me writing on my brother-in-laws wall - "If Avery is going to come on your birthday(4/8), she better hurry up!" My brother-in-law writes back - "yeah! you better light a fire up in there!" hahaha - sorry Ben if you are reading this, but you might want to "re-word this" as my mom put it.

I think people just don't know what to say to pregnant women... but, it is sometimes best to say nothing at all... :) If you have any other funny stories - I would love to read them - post away! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment